The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies. Most if not all of the BCBS companies offer health insurance for individuals over 65.
Throughout our 80-year history, the 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies have provided millions of families with top-quality, affordable health insurance.
- Represents the nation’s oldest and largest family of health benefits companies
- BCBS Brands are the most recognized in the health insurance industry
- Headquarters in Chicago with offices in Washington, D.C.
- Approximately 1,000 employees
- BCBSA Departments and National Programs
Collectively, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield System provides healthcare coverage for more than 98 million people or one-in-three Americans.
- 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies
- Among the 20 largest employers in the U.S.
- Healthcare coverage available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and in Puerto Rico
- Nationwide, more than 90 percent of hospitals and 80 percent of physicians contract with BCBS companies – more than any other insurer