What Does Supplemental Plan G Insurance Cover?
- Basic Benefits
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Part A Deductible
- Part B Deductible
- Foreign Travel Emergency
Medicare Supplemental Plan G Provides the Following Benefits
- Part A Hospital Coinsurance
- Days 61-90 of a hospital stay in each Medicare benefit period
- Days 91-150 of a hospital stay. Medicare will only pay for these 60 days once during your lifetime
- Additional Part A Hospital Benefits
- An extra 365 days of inpatient hospital care after you use your Original Medicare hospital benefits
- Part B Coinsurance
- Pays for the Part B coinsurance after you meet your annual deductible
- Part A and B Blood Coverage
- Pays for the first three pints of blood per calendar year
- Part A Hospice Coinsurance
- Pays for outpatient prescriptions drug and inpatient respite care coinsurance
These are benefits that supplement the limited coverage of Medicare Part A Hospital costs as well as providing the beneficiary additional benefits. Details of this supplemental coverage are as follows:
Medigap Plan G fully covers Days 61-90 of a hospital stay that would only see partial payment from Original Medicare coverage. Days 91-150 are also covered as many times if the beneficiary requires an extended hospital stay of this length. Original Medicare will only provide coverage for this long of a hospital stay once in your lifetime. If necessary, an additional 365 days of inpatient hospital care will also be paid for which Original Medicare does not cover.
Unlike Original Medicare coverage, the Supplemental Plan G pays for blood coverage. Plan G will pay for blood the patient might need during major surgery. Original Medicare fails to cover these charges. The plan will pay for three pints every calendar year.
The plan will pay Part A Hospice coinsurance costs not covered by Original Medicare. This includes respite care which gives the primary caregiver a much needed break from caring for their loved one while the beneficiary is an inpatient.
Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)
Medicare Part A covers regular inpatient hospital stays and the associated care such as prescription drugs provided, extra needs while the patient is in the hospital, and other miscellaneous costs.
This supplemental plan offers broader coverage for care in a facility that provides skilled nursing care. This coverage is much more than the benefits provided by Original Medicare Part A. This coverage includes charges generated by a traditional nursing facility that provides the expert staff and specialized equipment available to provide highly skilled care when needed. Most of these facilities offer skilled rehabilitation and other services that are critical to the patient’s recovery.
Medicare Part B Excess Charges
This is potentially one of the most valuable areas of this Medigap plan. Medicare Supplement Plan G covers 100% of the excess charges that Original Medicare Part B leaves to the beneficiary after the yearly deductible has been met. Original Medicare provides for 80% of these expenses leaving the 20% to the beneficiary. In addition to the 20%, copays for appointments are also covered. Ultimately, these costs can add up to a substantial amount of money left to the beneficiary to pay.
Foreign Travel Emergency
When traveling in a foreign country, one of the biggest concerns a beneficiary might have is what to do if they become ill. With this extended coverage, following the initial $250, Medicare Supplement G provides 80% coverage. There is a lifetime limit of $50,000 on this benefit.
Costs and Enrollment
The costs for Medicare Supplemental Plan G can range from $100 to $300 a month depending on provider.
If you choose to purchase a Medigap Policy, the best time to enroll is during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. Open Enrollment for Medigap policies begins the month you turn 65 and enrolled in Original Medicare Part B. This enrollment period then lasts for 6 months. Depending on where you live, your state may offer other expanded open enrollment opportunities. Insurance companies are not required to sell you a policy outside of your specific open enrollment period. That is why it is important to do it during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. You are less likely to be denied coverage regardless of health status. If you are on Medicare due to disability and are under 65, providers are not required to sell you a policy. Please contact your Plan Medigap representative for further information.
Medicare Supplement Plan G can help provide additional peace of mind to the Medicare beneficiary. To learn more about Plan G or to get a quote for your new policy, please call (800) 750-2407 today. We at Plan Medigap look forward to helping you select your new policy.